Thursday, April 24, 2008

Filled Vanilla Wafer from Mrs. Alpenhof at the dairy

In the early 1960's, when I lived in Portland Oregon while my husband, Bill, was in Dental School we had milk products delivered from a local, family owned and operated dairy. The family and the dairy were Alpenhof's. Mrs. Alpenhof was well known for her cooking skills and would regularly send recipes out in the mimeographed newsletter that came monthly from the dairy with our milk delivery. This is one of those recipe's.
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup finely chopped dates
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup sugar
2 well beaten eggs
Combine in saucepan and cook over med heat, stirring, until thick. Cool. Spread between two vanilla wafers and roll in powdered sugar. Place in air tight container and age 24 hrs. before serving. These do not keep well beyond 1 or 2 days.

2 comments:

laurel said...

Yum! We will give them a try.

Melanie said...

When I was first married, I could still get our local dairy to deliver milk in glass bottles. I can't find it anymore and I miss it!
Mrs. Alpenhof's wafers are going in my cookbook. Thank you!